This April, when the rain falls and the flowers bloom, nothing is better than a night inside eating pizza and watching movies. However, there is a way to do this without having to worry about your water #FOODPRINT! Between the flour, cheese, and sauce, pizza can use about 42 gallons of water per slice (Source). Forget the pepperoni and substitute veggies for a health conscience, earth-friendly meal with a smaller water footprint!
Use the recipe listed below for a delicious meal that substitutes ingredients with major water waste for alternatives that taste just as good, if not better!
Plant-based pizza https://minimalistbaker.com/my-favorite-vegan-pizza/
- 1/2 of one Trader Joe’s garlic-herb pizza crust (or half of this homemade recipe or this gluten-free recipe)
- 1/2 cup each red, green, and orange bell pepper (loosely chopped)
- 1/3 cup red onion (chopped)
- 1 cup button mushrooms (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp each dried or fresh basil, oregano, and garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce* (organic when possible)
- 1/2 tsp each dried or fresh basil, oregano, garlic powder, granulated sugar
- ~1/4 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flake + dried oregano